Monday, December 8, 2008

Tap into the positive resources available to U!

Each day I try to learn something of value. I attempt to do this by reading books and newspaper articles, attend Tuesday night Bible study and Sunday Church service, workout etc. I talk to people of high intellect and men like my father who has a lifetime of experience and wisdom. I do this so that I may become a well rounded individual and to broaden my perspective on life. Through reading, discussion and practical application of the knowledge learned; I have learned many of life's lessons. Furthermore, I have found that being receptive to the teachings that I've been exposed to have allowed me to prosper in many ways and avoided many trial and error lessons that life has sent my way.

I see life not only as an evolutionary process where we create generation after generation to carry on a family name and/or tradition for decades, but life is a legacy process also. We must set standards and plant seeds for current and future generations to prosper from. We see legacies and traditions acted out when we see generations of families that are successful, family businesses, during the holiday season and during family reunions. We also see legacies in the form of generational curses acted out everyday that are very destructive such as child abuse and domestic violence, alcoholism, drug abuse, poverty and illiteracy. I believe that if people that are trapped in the rout of a generational curses begin to tap into the positive resources available to them (i.e. God, the local Church, positive family and friends, books etc.) they could begin the process of breaking the shackles that they are bound by.

One of the most important lessons that I learned as a mentor to young men is that no man is an island and that I too must be mentored. Being mentored allows my perspective as well as my understanding to grow. Furthermore, I don't have to reinvent the wheel by making the same mistakes that my mentor's have made. Moreover, being receptive to wise counsel allows me to capitalize on opportunities that I may have otherwise missed due to my own understanding or misunderstanding. Now let's be honest, we are all limited to our own understanding. Therefore, tapping into the resources available to U is vital to expanding your own perspective and understanding. Once a seed is planted and takes root, whether the seed be good or bad, it will bring forth a harvest. So be mindful of the seeds that you plant and the seeds you allow to take root in your life. I encourage you to tap into the positive resources available to U!

No comments: