Friday, December 5, 2008

Do you see situations with 20/20 vision?

OUR EYE'S ARE MADE TO SEE! We can identify shapes; determine colors and objects, see family and friends etc. Sometime, when I look at the sky, I can see cloud formations that remind me of a face or a place. With my eye's clearly focused with 20/20 vision on the things that I want to see. I wonder if I'm seeing situations that are right in front of me from a near-sided or far-sided perspective. Furthermore, I wonder what am I not allowing myself to see at all.

To answer these questions I had to do a self-assessment. I find that the best way to conducting a self-assessment is in a non-critical manner. I found this hard to do, because like many people I'm my own worst critic. I would like to believe that I am doing everything right and that I make all the best decisions. But the truth is, thinking that I'm "Mr. Perfect" is only my pride and ego attempting to cover up my shortcomings and attempting to defend the indefensible. It's was important for me not to allow pride and/or ego to interfere when I conducted my self-assessment because both would have tricked me and installed a false sense of security and correctness in my thinking.

To successfully conduct a self-assessment I had to look at situations in my life through empathetic eye. Suddenly situations that seem chaotic, futile and difficult suddenly became very clear. I no longer viewed these situations with near-sided or far-sided vision because I was able to put myself in the other person’s shoes and I was able to put my pride and ego aside to be honest with myself. There is a saying that hindsight is 20/20. This saying is so true, but why must I see situations with 20/20 vision after the damage is done. Is it because I allow myself to operate behind the false security that pride and ego supply until I am able to strip away the layer to see me for who I am? And is who I am, not my representative (pride and ego) the person I want to be? To and answer these questions I had to learn to observe my own action and understand what is going on inside of me before I react to a situation.

The fact is that every man, woman, and child have both pride and ego. The longer that both are left unchecked the more they get out of control. I have found that self-assessment is an excellent tool for me to be honest with myself and allows me to see situations with foresight instead of hindsight.

I ask you the question I asked myself. Do you see situations with 20/20 vision?

No comments: