Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanks and Giving... How Powerful is That?

During this time of the year we gather with our families and friends to discuss old times, talk about what we're doing now, to laugh… and to joke. We make an attempt to grow our relationships stronger and reinforce our love for one another. We look forward to the sales on Black Friday and wonder what we are going to get for Christmas.

Thursday November 27 marked the 330th day in 2008 and we celebrated Thanksgiving as a nation. But, what did you really give Thanks for and what are you Giving?

For me, I gave Thanks for the things I take for granted. The ability to see, hear, my health, mobility of my arms and legs, a place to live, food in my refrigerator and a JOB. Wow, a JOB! Now a day’s having a JOB is a blessing. With the economic hardships that the world is suffering through at this point in history; having a JOB is a life line that many of us take for granted. But when I turn on CNN and I hear that CITI Group is laying off close to 52,000 people. Suddenly, going to work makes me feel like one of the fortunate people. It's kind of sobering when you hear that the second largest bank in this nation is on the verge of collapse... it makes me feel like missing that football game on Sunday was not the worst thing that could've happen in a day. Therefore, I give Thanks to God for many things but most of all I give Thanks to Him for being able to supply the basic needs that many of us take for granted. I hope you share my attitude of gratitude.

A Giving spirit is an important attribute to have especially at a time like this in history. When people are suffering on one extreme and others make futile attempts to hoard their wealth and prosperity on the other extreme. I was talking with my brother about a month ago about economy. He made a true statement he said "In a lot of ways man has a gratuitous nature. It started off with self-preservation and it spilled over into financial and material greed. So, turn on the television or read the newspaper and you can learn the results of this gratuitous mindset from one extreme to the next." I tend to agree with my brother. On one hand, man has a gratuitous nature... On the other hand, man has been blessed with the one thing that no other species on earth has and that is free will. Greed is a choice y'all! And free will allows for CHANGE! Maybe even the CHANGE that President-Elect Barrack Obama was speaking of during his Presidential campaign when he asked "Am I my brothers keeper?" and as a nation we responded with "YES I AM." As a nation of free will voters the majority elected a candidate for CHANGE because we are ready for a new vision for America. But I’m wondering how many of us are waiting for a CHANGE from our government but are unwilling to CHANGE OURSELVES. I challenge you to also be a candidate for CHANGE. Giving is not always in the form of money. Give your time. Donate one hour a week if you’re not doing it already. The United Way is a great way to get involved in your community. Visit them at http://www.unitedway.org/.

So I ask you again, Thanks and Giving… How Powerful is That?

No comments: